26th May 2018
The Brenig Way – Run Challenge is a 1 day, fully guided and supported ‘run’ following the 32 mile linear trail, from Corwen, in the Vale of Llangollen to the Llyn Brenig Reservoir Dam, high on the Denbigh Moors. The route involves 4628ft of ascent and represents an exhilarating, challenging excursion for those that take it on. The scenery is beautiful along the way – you’ll cover ground that isn’t very well trodden, on good paths that discreetly wind their way through the Dee Valley, through Glan Yr Afon, Maerdy. Clocaenog Forest, Cyfylliog and a gentle ascent alongside the River Clwyedog which ultimately brings you out on the archaeological trail at Llyn Brenig and a flat jog in to the finish.
WalkRun Clwydian are offering a limited number of spaces for this challenge, and will be providing the following, over the course of the day, to make your journey along the trail, as safe, stress free and enjoyable as possible:
- Fully Qualified Guides – Leading you every step of the way – you’ll have no worries about getting lost, just relax and enjoy your surroundings and the challenge!
- Checkpoint support – The day is split into 5 sections – approximately 5-7 miles in length, and at the end of each one we’ll meet you with your spare gear should you wish to change clothing policy, first aid provision and lots of food and drink to keep you going!
- Safety and first aid cover – your in safe hands, your guide will be fully qualified when it comes to outdoor first aid, in addition we will have all the necassary skills and equipment to look after you if something goes wrong, at the end of each section.
- Replenishment – Whilst it’s recommended that you carry some snacks and water on sections yourself, we’ll both provide and transport suitable foodstuffs and water/energy drinks and will have them waiting for you at the end of each section throughout the day.
- Transport – If the worst happens and you can’t continue, through injury or extreme fatigue – we’ll take care of getting you back to where you need to be. We’ll also carry any spare clothing/footwear or anything else (within reason!) that you may want at some point during the day. We’ll also transport you back to your car in Corwen, if required when we’ve replenished in the cafe at the visitor centre!
- Event Pack – 2 months ahead of the challenge day, you’ll get guidance text on the route itself, an overview of the sections, tips for preparation and training along with other useful pieces of information.
We will be averaging around 3.8mph moving time – a brisk walking pace for most, with rest stops at each CP, so the emphasis is on keeping going, not speed! Think of walking briskly the climbs, jogging the flat sections and running the descents and you’ll end up with this average pace, or thereabouts. The pace will be dictated by the Run Leaders.