31st March 2018
The Hiraethog Trail – Run Challenge is a 1 day, fully guided and supported ‘run’ following the 42.4 mile linear trail, from Pentrefoelas on the outskirts of Snowdonia, to Bodfari in the Vale of Clwyd. The route involves 5325ft of ascent and represents an exhilarating, challenging excursion for those that take it on. The scenery is beautiful along the way – you’ll cover ground that isn’t very well trodden, and cross the high ground of Mynydd Hireathog, following the way marked trail through Clocaenog Forest, past hidden reservoirs and crossing really wild, remote land that gives some of the very best views Westwards, towards Northern Snowdonia and Eastwards towards the Clwydian Hills.
WalkRun Clwydian are offering a limited number of spaces for this challenge, and will be providing the following, over the course of the day, to make your journey along the trail, as safe, stress free and enjoyable as possible:
- Fully Qualified Guides – Leading you every step of the way – you’ll have no worries about getting lost, just relax and enjoy your surroundings and the challenge!
- Checkpoint support – The day is split into 6 sections – approximately 6-9 miles in length, and at the end of each one we’ll meet you with your spare gear should you wish to change clothing policy, first aid provision and lots of food and drink to keep you going!
- Safety and first aid cover – your in safe hands, your guide will be fully qualified when it comes to outdoor first aid, in addition we will have all the necassary skills and equipment to look after you if something goes wrong, at the end of each section.
- Replenishment – Whilst it’s recommended that you carry some snacks and water on sections yourself, we’ll both provide and transport suitable foodstuffs and water/energy drinks and will have them waiting for you at the end of each section throughout the day.
- Transport – It’s a linear route, we’ll meet for the start in Pentrefoelas and at the end of the day a coach will transport you back to your car, after some optional refreshment at the Dinorben Arms Inn, Bodfari. If the worst happens and you can’t continue, through injury or extreme fatigue – we’ll take care of getting you back to where you need to be. We’ll also carry any spare clothing/footwear or anything else (within reason!) that you may want at some point during the day.
- Event Pack – 2 months ahead of the challenge day, you’ll get guidance text on the route itself, an overview of the sections, tips for preparation and training along with other useful pieces of information.
We will be averaging around 3.7mph moving time – a brisk walking pace for most, with rest stops at each CP, so the emphasis is on keeping going, not speed! Think of walking briskly the climbs, jogging the flat sections and running the descents and you’ll end up with this average pace, or thereabouts. The pace will be dictated by the Run Leaders.
LOCATION: Pentrefoelas is beside the A5 road 8 miles south east of Betws-y-Coed
PARKING: We shall meet at, and return to the car park immediately south of village centre crossroads, adjacent to the public convinces and in front of the Chocolate shop.